Report: Homeless man shielded bystanders during Sacramento mass shooting

0
12

LATEST April 6, 1:15 p.m. A father reached out to CBS News for help in locating a homeless man named Tim who shielded his daughter and three other women during Sunday’s deadly mass shooting.

Tom Orosco told CBS, “He was willing to put himself in the line of fire, no doubt.”

Orosco’s daughter snapped a photo of the man, and CBS News ran it along with a story. The photo also made the rounds on social media and the man pictured, Tim Langer, was found. Langer spoke out about helping the women in a followup story with CBS. 

“They were panic-stricken, they were falling over each other to try and get shelter,” Langer, who was asleep in an alcove on K Street when the gunfire erupted, told CBS. “From what I could see, the state of war, I was just trying to calm them down and keep them reassured that everything was going to be all right.”

The Orosco family told the TV station they have plans to help Langer.

April 5, 1:30 p.m. The Sacramento Police Department said Tuesday afternoon that a third person was arrested in the aftermath of the mass shooting that left six people dead Sunday.

A 31-year-old man was charged with being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm, police said in a news release. He was not charged with crimes directly related to the shooting at this time, police said.

Detectives said the suspect was seen “carrying a gun in the immediate aftermath of the shooting” that occurred in downtown Sacramento on K Street.

Detectives followed up on the lead and recovered a handgun. Police said it is unlikely the recovered gun was used in the shooting. 

April 5, 1 p.m. Smiley Martin, the second suspect arrested in connection with the mass shooting that killed six people in Sacramento early Sunday, posted a live Facebook video of himself with a handgun hours before gunfire erupted on K Street in the city’s entertainment district, a law enforcement official told the Associated Press.

Martin was arrested early Tuesday at a local hospital, where he was taken with gunshot wounds after the Sunday incident, the Sacramento Police Department said in a news release. He was charged with possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and possession of a machine gun, police said.

Authorities are trying to determine whether the weapon seen in the video was used in the shooting, said the official, who was briefed on the investigation but could not discuss details publicly and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

Smiley is the brother of the first suspect, Dandrae Martin, who was arrested Monday and booked on charges of assault and illegal firearm possession charges, officials said.

Investigators believe the brothers possessed stolen guns and are working to review financial documents, call records and social media messages to determine how and when they procured weapons, the official said. Authorities have searched several locations in connection with the shooting and the firearms investigation.

The Sacramento Bee reported that Smiley has a criminal record dating back to 2013. Last year, he was released early from a 10-year prison sentence for domestic violence and assault with great bodily injury even though Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert’s office wrote a letter to the Board of Parole Hearings asking that he remain in custody, the Bee reported.

The Sacramento Police Department didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on Smiley appearing in a Facebook video prior to the shooting.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Authorities search the area of the scene of a mass shooting in Sacramento, Calif., on Sunday, April 3, 2022.

Authorities search the area of the scene of a mass shooting in Sacramento, Calif., on Sunday, April 3, 2022.

Rich Pedroncelli/AP

April 5, 6:33 a.m. The Sacramento Police Department said Tuesday it arrested a second suspect in connection with the mass shooting that left six dead in downtown Sacramento on Sunday. Smiley Martin, 27, is the brother of Dandrae Martin, the first suspect that was arrested Monday.

Police said Smiley was among the people wounded at the scene of the shooting on K Street and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. In the preliminary investigation, officials quickly identified Smiley as a person of interest and police said, he “has remained under the supervision of an officer at the hospital while his treatment continues.” Upon further investigation, Smiley was taken into custody by police detectives on Tuesday. When he’s able to leave the hospital, police said he will be booked at the Sacramento County Main Jail for possession of a firearm by a prohibited person and possession of a machine gun. 

April 4, noon The Sacramento Police Department said in a news release Monday afternoon that an arrest was made in connection with Sunday’s mass shooting that left six dead.

Police said an investigation identified 26-year-old Dandrae Martin as a suspect and they arrested and booked him on charges of assault and illegal firearm possession charges.

In the preliminary investigation at the scene of the shooting on K Street, police said they found more than 100 expended shell casings and identified at least three buildings and three vehicles that were hit by bullets. 

What’s more, SWAT teams and detectives served search warrants at three residences in the area and recovered at least one handgun. 

April 4, 10 a.m. On Monday morning, the Sacramento County Coroner’s office released the names of all six people who died in a downtown Sacramento shooting early Sunday. 

The three women who were killed were: Johntaya Alexander, 21; Melinda Davis, 57; and Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21. The three men were identified as Sergio Harris, 38; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; and Devazia Turner, 29. Harris was named by the coroner’s office on Sunday.

April 4, 9:45 a.m. Family and friends were left devastated by the deaths of six people who were shot in downtown Sacramento near the Golden 1 Center early Sunday.

Twelve people were also wounded (at least four with critical injuries) in the shooting that occurred at about 2 a.m. on the outskirts of the entertainment district where crowds filled the streets as bars and nightclubs were closing. 

Authorities were still notifying family members of the three men and three women who died. The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office had confirmed as of Monday morning the identity of only one of the six deceased, 38-year-old Sergio Harris.

Sergio’s mother, Pamela Harris, told KCRA that her son “was a very vivacious young man. Fun to be around, liked to party, smiling all the time. Don’t bother people.” Pamela added, “For this to happen is crazy. I’m just to the point right now, I don’t know what to do. I don’t even feel like this is real. I feel like this is a dream.”

The Sacramento Bee reported that Sergio was a father of two.

Sacramento police said they were searching for at least two people who opened fire. Police said they found a stolen handgun and were investigating whether it was used in the shooting.

Police Chief Kathy Lester revealed few details from the investigation and pleaded with the public to share videos and other evidence that could lead to the killers.

“The scale of violence that just happened in our city is unprecedented during my 27 years here,” Lester told reporters during a news conference at police headquarters. “We are shocked and heartbroken by this tragedy. But we are also resolved as an agency to find those responsible and to secure justice for the victims and the families.”

The gunfire erupted just after a fight broke out on a street lined with an upscale hotel, nightclubs and bars, and police said the department was investigating whether the altercation was connected to the shooting. Video from witnesses posted on social media showed rapid gunfire for at least 45 seconds as people screamed and ran for cover.

Sunday’s violence was the third time in the U.S. this year that at least six people have been killed in a mass shooting, according to a database compiled by the Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University. And it was the second mass shooting in Sacramento in the past five weeks.

On Feb. 28, a father killed his three daughters, a chaperone and himself in a Sacramento church during a weekly supervised visitation. David Mora, 39, was armed with a homemade semiautomatic rifle-style weapon, even though he was under a restraining order that prohibited him from possessing a firearm.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here